This walking tour covers three areas in the Central Business District (CBD) of Singapore which tell the Singapore Story: Singapore River, Raffles Place and the Civic District. The story is told through a variety of monuments, art works, buildings and landmarks. The Singapore River embodies Singapore’s founding as a British outpost in the early 19th century and its emergence as a free port and hub for mercantile trade. The Civic District depicts the cultural and political development of the island state, pre- and post-independence. Raffles Place speaks of the city’s development as a major financial centre globally.
It is a bit of history but we promise to inject major doses of humour and fun into the tour!
Raffles Place MRT Station Exit B
City Hall MRT Station
9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Formerly known as Commercial Square in earlier times, the gleaming office towers in this area speaks of Singapore’s status as a financial hub. Unbeknownst to many, history lurks in many places here.
Cavenagh Bridge is the oldest bridge across the Singapore River to survive in its original form. It was one of the first suspension bridges in the region.
Formerly the General Post Office, this historical building has been converted into a luxury hotel.
We’ll tell you the story behind this iconic symbol of Singapore.
Built in 1919 as the Water Office, the building was constructed at this site to supply fresh water to ships coming into Singapore.
One of Singapore’s oldest performing arts venues, it was reopened in 2014 after a four-year renovation.
This is where Sir Stamford Raffles, founder of modern Singapore, is believed to have first set foot on the island in 1819.
Built in 1827, The Arts House is Singapore’s oldest colonial building and served as the Parliament of Singapore until the new Parliament Complex was built.
National Gallery Singapore occupies two national monuments; former Supreme Court and City Hall, both of which are symbols of Singapore’s colonial past and bore witness to pivotal events in Singapore’s journey to independence.
This is the oldest Anglican house of worship in Singapore and was gazetted as a national monument in 1973. It was named after the patron saint of Scotland.
Initially used as a popular spot for members of colonial society to meet, socialize and play sports instead in the 1800s, the Padang was an important venue for civic events in the 20th century including the Japanese surrender ceremony to the British in 1945.
The tour ends here.